This was the Hollywood Music Workshop 2016:
A Film Scoring Summer Academy with Hollywood’s Elite
This year has been bigger then ever with nine different masterclasses offered over a period of five weeks that could be booked individually or as a whole.
We were happy to introduce our new and amazing line-up of top Hollywood composers, orchestrators and arrangers to this year’s participants. Our workshop has been incredibly successful over the past 7 years and we have been able to grow into this excellent summer film music academy. This again has been one of a kind opportunity to work and study with some of Hollywood’s greatest film music talents in the wonderful ambience of the beautiful City of Baden. Composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss and Lanner performed in this historic Spa Town near Vienna. Starting from composing, orchestration and arrangement through recording with a real string orchestra on the new Synchron Stage Vienna to final mixing. Our participants could learn the entire film scoring process gaining real-world knowledge delivered by some of Hollywood’s best.
In case you missed some or all of this year’s academy – stay tuned for the upcoming 2017 summer academy. We are looking forward to seeing you there!
While we are working on our new 2017 program you can have a look at this year’s program. We can’t promise that 2017 will look exactly the same – but it won’t be completely different either.
• July 6 – 12: Thomas Chase Jones – Composing using the Music Interval Theory (M.I.T.) – a successful approach to avoid unnecessary creative blocks and to elevate your composing level. Learn from Thomas Chase Jones, one of the most successful and experienced composers for animation films.
• July 13 – 18: Conrad Pope & Nan Schwartz – Orchestration and Arranging. Learn from the incomparable Conrad Pope, one of Hollywood’s best composers and orchestrators, and from Nan Schwartz, a world class Grammy Award winning arranger.
• July 18: Conrad Pope & Joe Kraemer – Star Wars – Scoring a Saga. Join film composer and orchestrator Conrad Pope and film composer Joe Kraemer and for an in-depth analysis of John Williams’ music for the Star Wars saga.
• July 19 – 25: Joe Kraemer – From Concept to Composition. Learn the conceptual and composing aspects of creating music for film. And finally, what is needed to get your composition recorded. Classes will include behind-the-scenes looks at the scoring of Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation and Jack Reacher. Presented by Joe Kraemer, a world class film composer (Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation).
• July 26 – July 29: Recording at the Synchron Stage in Vienna. German born Silke Matzpohl, a successful TV composer and music editor, will help to prepare for the recordings. Frankie Chinasky, a well known sound engineer and music producer, will make sure that your take will be recorded professionally – using world class equipment at the soundstage.
• July 30 – August 1: Dennis Sands – Mixing for Composers and Musicians. Learn to turn your recordings and demos into professional sounding mixes. Brought to you by Dennis Sands, one of the world’s best film scoring mixing engineers. Dennis will deliver his class in the control room of the Synchron Stage in Vienna – one of the best recording stages in the world – demonstrating his techniques using the latest state of the art equipment.
• August 6 – 8: Chris Walden – Arranging for Big Bands and for Strings in Pop Music. Learn from Chris Walden, a German born world class composer and arranger, who will also share how his career started in Europe and how he very successfully established himself in Hollywood.
• August 9 – 11: Edwin Wendler – From Vienna to Hollywood: A Film Composer’s Survival Guide. Austrian born Edwin Wendler, who established himself in Hollywood as one of the upcoming and successful young film composers, will share essential studio workflow techniques and provide insights into client management and how to deal with tight deadlines and budgets.
Zur Homepage – Hollywood Music Workshop